When you think about your current job, are there tasks that you perform every day? Do you also have some moments that keep you on your toes? If so, then the rhythm of your job is similar to that of a practical nurse’s—except their daily tasks often include helping to save lives. Do you think you might be interested in such a meaningful career?
A Day In The Life Of A Practical Nurse
Have you ever wondered what it’s like to be a practical nurse? As a licensed practical nurse, your days will be filled with critical tasks, such as working with patients as well as with your fellow medical staff members. It’s rarely boring! An average day in the life of a practical nurse can include any—or perhaps ALL—of these tasks:
- Administering medications to patients.
- Observe and document the therapeutic effects of medications.
- Take the vital signs of patients to monitor their health. Examples of vital signs include temperature, blood pressure, pulse, and breathing rate.
- Applying antiseptics and sterile dressings to care properly for wounds and reduce the risk of infections.
- Monitoring the nutritional intake of patients to ensure they are receiving the correct foods to heal and recuperative.
- Collecting specimens from patients for medical analysis in the lab.
- Inspecting the operating room before surgery.
- Sterilizing the operating room and surgical instruments.
- Preparing patients for surgical procedures by washing, shaving, and sterilizing them.
- Assisting doctors during surgical procedures. Tasks include laying out the proper instruments and setting up equipment before surgery.
- Assisting the surgical team with their gowns and gloves to get ready for surgical procedures.
- During surgical procedures, assist the surgical team by handing them the required instruments.
- Administering pre-operative and post-operative care to patients to ensure their comfort and recovery.
- Providing additional nursing services throughout the day based on the patient assessment and care procedure needs.
As you can tell from this (long) list of duties, practical nurses are essential parts of a medical or healthcare facility. Their jobs are rewarding and impact many lives on a daily basis. When was the last time you impacted someone’s life? If you become a practical nurse, that could be part of your daily routine!
Not Your Everyday Career Choice
The job of a licensed practical nurse is critical and fast-paced. The truth is, it may not be for everyone. You can be involved in high-stress situations that require your complete concentration and care. Consider these questions:
- Do you have a passion for helping others?
- Are you looking for a more exciting career?
- Does the medical field interest you?
If you answered yes to any of these questions, then a career in practical nursing may be right for you.
Become A Practical Nurse At Delta College
Delta College can help you prepare for a career in practical nursing with help from professionals in the field. We designed our course specifically to prepare students to take the licensing exam in only 16 months. Are you ready to learn more about the practical nurse training offered at Delta College? Start by meeting with our admissions staff and scheduling a tour. You can study practical nursing at any of our four campuses: Baton Rouge, Covington, Lafayette, and Slidell. Contact the one nearest you and start the rest of your life today!