Licensed practical nurses and licensed vocational nurses (known as LPNs or LVNs, depending on the state in which they work) provide basic medical care. They work under the direction of registered nurses and doctors.
Duties. Licensed practical and licensed vocational nurses typically do the following:
- Monitor patients’ health – for example, by checking their blood pressure.
- Administer basic nursing care, including changing bandages and inserting catheters.
- Provide for the basic comfort of patients, such as helping them bathe or dress.
- Discuss health care with patients and listen to their concerns
- Report patients’ status to registered nurses and doctors
- Keep records on patients’ health
Experienced licensed practical and licensed vocational nurses oversee and direct other LPNs or LVNs and unlicensed medical staff. Students who attend Delta College in Covington’s practical nursing classes will be trained in how to deal with all of these responsibilities.